Last year, when Apple released the iPhone 4, it got very popular and there many stories and reports about it which circulated around the web for a long time. There were many interesting stories as well, just like; “how we used iPhone to capture a fantastic video”, “iPhone 4 in Space”, “iPhone 4 helped finding my Kitty” and many more. But as you know, recently iPhone 4S was released and we did not see enough stories about it. You might remember our report last year which stated that a husband found out that his wife was cheating on him with the help of iPhone 4S, well, that was about it. We haven’t heard any interesting or fun story about iPhone 4S and its main and exclusive feature Siri, the personal assistant.
Here we are with a latest story, now users will be able to control Siri with brain waves. Amazing isn’t it? The main purpose of Siri was that users could talk and control their device without even touching it but now they will be able to control it without even talking? We have these hackers to thank for this. As they are saying that now users will not have to utter to convey a command to Siri, because Siri will be able to pick up the commands itself right from your mind when you are thinking them.
Hackers accomplished this difficult goal by hooking up ECG pads on user’s head. That’s how they were able to collect their brain waves which afterwards were translated into synthesized speech. That synthesized speech was later transmitted to the device with the help of 3.5 mm headphone jack and Siri will be recognizing it as a command. Here is the whole process broken down into steps by the hackers themselves:
1. ECG pads provide raw skin conductivity / electrical activity as analogue data (0-5v).
2. This is plugged into the Arduino board via 4 analogue inputs (no activity = 0v, high activity = 5v).
3. The Arduino has a program burnt to it’s EPROM chip that filters the signals.
4. Josh trained the program by thinking of the main Siri commands (“Call”, “Set”, “Diary” etc.) one at a time and the program where we captured the signature brain patterns they produce.
5. The program can detect the signature patterns that indicate a certain word is being thought of. The program will then wait for a natural ‘release’ in brain waves and assume the chain of commands is now complete and action is required.
6. The series of commands are fed to a SpeakJet speech synthesiser chip
7. The audio output of which simply plugs into the iPhone’s microphone jack.
At this time, hackers have stated that this project is still under development. The mind controlling project is also not portable because hackers state that the project requires Arduino board a MacBook. But it seems like the hacking team named as Project Black Mirror are still working very hard to convert this project into a product. You can visit the official Project Black Mirror page where you will be able to get more detailed info about the project. Now take a look at the following videos where you can see how hacker can convey its commands to the Siri without saying anything..
- Now Siri Can Accept Custom Commands, Hacked By Chpwn
- Hackers Are Trying To Run Siri On iPhone 4
- Siri Can Only Be Ported To iPhone 4 By Doing Piracy
- iPhone 4 And iPod Touch 4G Can Run Siri Completely [Video]
- Why Siri Port For Older iOS Devices Cannot Be Released Publicly
- Developers Successfully Crack The Siri Security Protocol
- Apple Releases First TV Commercial For iPhone 4S Featuring Siri